Pros & Cons of Tankless Water Heaters for Your Madison, WI Home
Written by All Comfort Services | January 16, 2020
For homes in the Madison area that have large families or high hot water demands, a tankless water heater may be the ideal replacement for the traditional storage tank water heater. By eliminating the water storage tank and the energy required to keep its contents warm, a tankless or on-demand water heater is more efficient and provides a nearly unlimited supply of hot water. Though there are many benefits to installing a tankless water heater, there are also a few disadvantages.
For more information on tankless water heaters, contact All Comfort Services online or call us at 608-838-7300.
Pros of Installing a Tankless Water Heater
Tankless water heaters are available in gas and electric versions, and both heat the water as you need it, using a large amount of energy for a short period of time. This on-demand operation combined with the lack of a tank can offer several benefits:
- Reduced energy usage – Heating a storage tank constantly uses large amounts of energy. By heating water only when you need it, you can reduce your energy costs significantly.
- Unlimited hot water – The capacity of a conventional water heater is restricted by its tank size. A tankless water heater can provide virtually unlimited hot water when sized properly for the application.
- Smaller size – Without a tank, the size of a tankless water heater is much smaller than a conventional model, allowing it to fit in more locations for a flexible installation.
- Less risk of leaks – Conventional water heaters often store over 40 gallons of water in a steel tank that is vulnerable to corrosion and leaks. Tankless water heaters reduce the chances of major water damage.
- Longer life spans – Tankless water heater often last 15 to 20 years or longer, approximately double the life span of typical storage tank models.
Cons of Installing a Tankless Water Heater
Some drawbacks of installing a tankless water heater may include:
- Energy requirements – Tankless water heaters use large amounts of energy for a short time, and many homes are not equipped properly for the demand. To install an electric tankless water heater, you may need to have a dedicated circuit installed, with an upgraded breaker, if your service panel has the available capacity. For gas models, a new gas valve and larger gas lines may need to be installed, which can be costly.
- Cost – A tankless water heater will cost more initially, though the long service life and energy savings may offset the increased price.
- Longer wait times – With a tankless water heater, it may take slightly more time for hot water to reach the faucet because it must be heated first, but proper installation can mitigate this problem.
Tankless Water Heater Installations in Madison, WI and Dane County
Installing a tankless water heater may the right choice for your home if you have a large family that could benefit from an unlimited hot water supply, as long as it is possible to make the upgrades required for the installation. A tankless model can also be beneficial for those who would like to reduce their utility costs, save energy, and minimize the risk of water damage and leaks.
At All Comfort Services, we install both storage tank water heaters and tankless models. Our plumbing experts can help you determine which is the best option for your home, based on your needs, budget, and hot water demands. We serve homeowners throughout Madison, WI, Dane County, and the surrounding areas, providing top-quality heating, air conditioning, electrical, and plumbing services.
To schedule your tankless water heater installation in the Madison area, call our experts at 608-838-7300 today or contact us online!
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the advantages of tankless water heaters?
Tankless water heaters turn on when you turn on the hot water faucet, and the water heater turns off when you turn the faucet off. This means that energy is only consumed when the hot water is being used. This means that you don’t waste energy or extra money with tankless water heaters.
What are the benefits of tankless water heaters?
There are many advantages of having a tankless water heater in your home. Besides saving money and energy, tankless water heaters:
- Are small and can hang on the wall, saving valuable floor space
- Are almost entirely recyclable
- Maintain its efficiency throughout the lifetime of the unit
Will one tankless water heater be enough to heat my entire house?
You have to choose the right water heater model to suit your home’s needs. There are different sizes that handle different hot water needs. When you choose the right size for your home, you must take into consideration the price differences, as well.
Have more questions about tankless water heaters? Let our team at All Comfort Services provide answers! Call us today at 608-838-7300.