There are many things you can do around your home this Spring and Summer to prepare your house for the warm weather that is fast approaching. One of the most important is to keep your family safe. We suggest cleaning the kitchen exhaust hood and air filter. Keeping this clean of cooking grease will help keep a stovetop fire from spreading. Also, inspect and clean dust from the covers of your smoke and carbon monoxide alarms. Replace the old batteries. Smoke and Carbon Monoxide detectors save lives. To check out our website, go to www.allcomfortservices.com.
Here are a few other tidbits:
Check your dehumidifier & humidifier
Check your DEHUMIDIFIER for good operation BEFORE you need it. Clean the water container, and check it’s condition throughout the Summer
It’s also a good time to replace the water panel in your HUMIDIFIER. During the winter months, scale , hard water, and dust build up. Clean it out or replace it before next Winter
Check your water heater
If you have a gas-fired water heater, check to make sure it is venting properly. Light a match next to the vent and wave it out (don’t blow it out). See if the smoke is pulled up into the vent. If it isn’t, have a professional inspect and repair it. Otherwise, carbon monoxide and other combustibles can build up in the home
Check around the base of your water heater for evidence of leaks. If your water heater is over 5 years old, it should be checked monthly for any leakage or rusting at the bottom. If water leakage or rust is found, the water heater should be replaced
Check the shutoff valve at each plumbing fixture to make sure they are functional know the location of all valves and what equipment and water lines they serve. Teach all family members
Clean the clothes dryer exhaust duct, damper, and space under the dryer
Poor maintenance allows lint to build up in the exhaust duct and cause a fire.
Replace all extension cords that have become brittle, worn or damaged Exposed wires may cause arcing, which will produce heat and can start a fire. Care should also be taken to keep appliances and their power cords away from water or a heat source because this will damage the cord’s insulation.
Check your electrical system
Look for burn marks at the main electrical panel; they can be a sign of arcing inside the panel, which can easily lead to a fire. Loose connections or damaged insulation can cause the arcing. Note: Only a qualified electrician should remove the front panel cover
Install safety covers to help protect children from electrical shock. Any appliance or tool that gives even the slightest shock should be unplugged and checked by an electrician
Matt C. performed detailed service call on our A/C today. He was very thorough and helpful and understanding of our concerns. He represented All Comfort in a professional and polite way. We were left with a thorough understanding following the service call.